Thursday, November 25, 2010

A non-craft-related rant... feel free to skip if you prefer.

What is wrong with the world at the moment?  Seriously. 

I really feel for the families of the Pike River Coal Miners.  Who wouldn’t?  Those poor bastards didn’t know what hit them (well at least that’s what we hope).  And their families certainly weren’t expecting anything untoward.  But you wouldn’t, would you?  Just another day at the office, you know? 

And this doesn’t just effect the immediate families of those 29 men, but also those supporting them too.  The parents, grandparents, children, siblings, cousins, aunties and uncles, friends, co-workers etc.  Not to mention the Pike River staff, their advisers, and the rescue crews that never got a chance to help.  An endless list of broken people.  Just devastating.  I admit to shedding a tear or two last night for all of them.

It’s been a bad few months for those I work with… Last week a co-worker suddenly lost his wife in a tragic car accident.  Only 59, she was simply too young to die.  She was a loving and attentive wife, mother and grandmother.  She had already made her Christmas Cake, and was part way through sewing Christmas Stockings for her grandsons.  And now, she’s not here anymore.  Just like that.  How do you cope with the sudden loss of a soul mate?  I guess you just do.  You’d have to.  Because unfortunately life goes on, doesn’t it? 

And only a few months before that, another co-worker had to cut an overseas trip short because his niece was also killed in a car accident.  She was only 11.  She never got the chance to grow up.  All those things she and her family have missed out on together.  So, I want to know, what IS wrong with the world?  Really?

Sometimes, when things like this happen, people find strength in their faith.  I’m not one of those people.  Yes, I was christened as a child, and our family attended church on Sundays when I was younger.  And yes, I own a bible, although it’s packed away in a box in my wardrobe.  You see, when things like this happen, I struggle to believe in that higher being.  If there is a God, how could He intend this to happen?  What possible lesson can be learned from breaking the hearts of so many?  How is this ‘right’?  I don’t begrudge those who can find solace in prayer.  I guess in a way I am envious that they have that never-ending belief and trust in Him.  Their prayers can bring them comfort.  If I’m being totally honest, I just don’t understand.


So, for now, my thoughts are with those whose hearts are aching.  I hope they get their boys back.

2 comments:

topkatnz said...

Good on for being brave enough to post those words - hope you feel better. I was raised in a non-religious family. I do however,believe in belief and understand the strength and comfort people can gain from orthodox religeon.For me though, I think it is far better to make an educated decision regarding our own belief system and morals, rather than just blindly following. I find it horrifying to think that some one person/being has looked down and judged these poor innocent people, and decided they deserved to die. hugs.

Unknown said...

It's hard. And there are never the right words at hand to say to those that need it or feel it. I also found this week hard in a different way because of the fire at Girls' High. So much work and resources has gone up in a puff of smoke just because some doorknobs thought it was a funny thing to do. There is no understanding some people.
I was brought up going to church every sunday but I stopped going a long time ago. Not because of a lack of faith although I do find that particular faith very hard to comprehend in light of events such as this week.
What I do know is that we all have ways of dealing with it and I think for me it is time. Patience for me has been a hard fought battle, but these days (sometimes!) I am able to tell myself that in a day, a week, a month or whenever it won't feel so bad as it does now. That's not to say it will be forgotten, but the sadness, anger, frustration and other feelings will be softened and blurred and the bit that sticks in my throat will be more easily swallowed.